Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Initial Reaction


Initially, I was fairly hesitant about handling and training a rat for Psychology of Learning Lab. I knew I wouldn't have a problem holding Snickerpuss because I had played with hamsters growing up. The only reservations I had about adopting a rat was the stigma commonly associated with rats; they're diseased, pests, and portrayed as villains in children's movies.. My reservations about handling a rat quickly diminished when I saw how cute Snickerpuss was. I'm a huge animal lover, so as soon as I met Snickerpuss I knew I liked her. The rats also lost their stigma when we learned they were bred in a laboratory, meaning they would be clean and disease free.


          
Snickerpuss meeting Olivia and I for the first time!

We decided to name our rat Snickerpuss III in honor of Robert Willett's rat, Snickerpuss. Robert and I were teammates for three years on the BSC's Cross Country team, and he would update us on the status of Snickerpuss' training during practice and the name stuck for our rat. Nicky (as we've nicknamed her) and I hit it off immediately. I joked with my lab partner, Olivia, that there was no way I would keep our rat when class ended. However, after holding her just once, I felt like I really liked her and may want to keep her. Nicky was very calm when I first picked her up and she quickly nestled into a ball in the palm of my hand. It was relieving to me that she didn't try to break free from my grip and run away. She seems to be mild mannered with a good temperament, which makes me feel like she will be easier to train and deal with because she doesn't get annoyed easily. I look forward to starting the training process and seeing how well we work together!


Snickerpuss III

1 comment:

  1. Good start Christian! You could add the story behind Snickerpuss and a picture :)

    ReplyDelete